If you’ve never heard of fat bombs — have a seat. We need to talk. But first, if you have no idea why I’m trying to get you to eat more fat, check out my Keto 101 post here. It’ll get you all caught up!
As I’ve said before, I’ve been doing Keto on and off for years now. I never have a hard time getting my protein in — honestly, I usually have a hard time not going over. I love meat and I always crave it! But fat? I have such a hard time meeting my fat macros with just normal meals and snacks. I just can’t seem to meet those macro goals. So years ago, on my journey to figuring out a way to eat more fat, I stumbled upon fat bombs.
Because we’ve always been told fat is bad, it’s hard to not feel guilty at first. It feels so wrong but it tastes so good. So I’m here to give you my very favorite fat bomb recipe.
Let me warn you, though. If you’re expecting to bite into this fat bomb and come out tasting a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, you’re going to be very disappointed. We may be making a chocolate treat but it’s still Keto. If you’re at this point, I know you understand the need to cut back on sugar so just prepare yourself for the lightly sweetened treat you’re about to give yourself. Get hype about it but not Hershey’s bar hype.
Before we get started, I want to show y’all these really cool ice trays I got from HomeGoods. I had to get them as soon as I saw them because look how compact they are! They have lids! And they’re inexpensive ($4)! They are perfect for freezing fat bombs and storing them without taking up a lot of space like a normal container. I’ll never go back to my old ways now that I’ve seen the light.
Ok, back on topic. The best ever fat bombs.
This will take you maybe 10 minutes and I call them my Chocolate Peanut Butter Yum Yums. Here’s what you’ll need:
Serving – Fills 1 normal sized ice tray.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder and then a little to grow on. So a heaping and a half. (I’m southern to a fault, I don’t always perfectly measure things. Dash of this. Scoop of that. You get the idea.)
- 4 tablespoons of butter. (I use KerryGold.)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite natural peanut butter.
- Liquid sweetener to taste. I usually use 2-3 drops. Start with 1 and taste till it’s right for you!
- In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together coconut oil, butter, cocoa powder, and peanut butter. Don’t walk away from it or it’ll scorch. Trust me.
- When everything is melted and mixed, remove from heat and stir in your sweetener.
- Pour into your containers.
- Freeze for 2 hours and then refrigerate. (Honestly, though, I just leave mine in the freezer. These things melt fast so with keeping them frozen, I’m able to hang on to it and make it last an extra second or two. )
There you have it! The easiest, tastiest fat bombs I’ve made during my Keto journey.
If you’re still unsure about the whole fat thing, I’ll recap!
Fat is good for us because:
- It gives us energy. When we decrease our carb intake, our body starts converting fat into energy. (This is why I always tend to need one in the afternoon. 3 o’clock sleepies always get me.)
- It helps our bodies build healthy cells.
- It helps us have healthy skin and also protects our other organs.
- It helps our bodies use vitamins A, D, E, and K.
See? It’s fine. Eat the fat. (If it’s good fat!)
I hope you love these as much as I do! If you have fat bomb suggestions of your own, I’d love to hear them!
Before I go, if you haven’t yet gotten the chance, follow the Joyful & Jittery Facebook page. I’d love to chat with you there!